Havasu Falls Explorer
Flagstaff, AZ5.0 (8 reviews)
- Turquoise Water & Plunging Falls
- 2 Full Days at the Falls
- All-inclusive Tour
- Amazing Natural & Cultural History
- Swimming in Idyllic Pools
- Descend Below Mooney Falls
- Fantastic Cuisine, Gear & Guides
Our Havasu Falls Explorer backpacking trip into the famous Havasupai waterfalls and the canyon village of Supai is an adventurous, extended option for enjoying the Grand Canyon’s most spectacular waterfalls. We set off from Flagstaff, Arizona and head to the trailhead where we begin our hike into Havasupai. Our hike takes us across broad desert valleys and through serene, winding canyons to Havasu Creek. We follow the creek through the village of Supai and down to the campground, where we enjoy a comfortable basecamp. From camp we spend two days hiking, exploring, sight-seeing, and swimming up and down the canyon, visiting a total of 5 amazing waterfalls that are connected by one of the world’s most beautiful desert creeks.
The rate includes a professional Grand Canyon hiking guide, reservations, local transportation, nearly all your gear, and all your meals. Commercial tours are charged separate tribal fees by the Havasupai Tribe, which are detailed on this page in the pricing section, and are passed through directly to the tribe.
Need to Know: Currently No Havasu Falls Tours
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not be operating Havasu Falls tours until further notice. We hope to continue operating tours to Havasu Falls in the future. In the meantime, we offer award-winning hiking and trekking vacations to other incredible Southwest destinations! Check out more of our Arizona adventures.
HAVASUPAI TRIBAL FEES
Havasupai Tour rates (per person) are broken down into two fees:
- The Wildland guided tour rate: this rate covers everything we provide, which includes local transportation, guides, meals, transport of supplies and personal items (not on backpacking trip), camping gear, camping reservations, safety equipment, and more.
- Havasupai Tribal Fees: the Havasupai Tribal fees are added when you register and cover a per-person entrance fee, environmental fee, and per night camping fees plus 10% tax (the tribe’s fees are higher for commercial companies than for individuals visiting on their own). These fees are dictated annually by – and passed in their entirety to – the Havasupai Tribe.
Please Note: all discounts apply only to the Wildland rate, not to the Tribal Fees.
If you have any questions about our rates or the tribal fees, feel free to call us at 1-800-715-HIKE (4453)!
DIFFICULTY LEVEL 3
Our difficulty ratings are based on a scale of 1-5, tours with a rating of 1 being least difficult, tours with a rating of 5 being most difficult
- Backpack Weight:
- 25-35 pounds
- Daily Hiking Distances:
- 7-10 miles
- Most Elevation Loss:
- 2400 feet
- Most Elevation Gain:
- 2400 feet
- Quality of Trails:
- Well used
- This trip requires hiking 10 miles (with 2400 feet of elevation loss) to the campground with 25-35 lb backpacks. Once in camp all hiking is done with light packs until we hike out on the final day (again, 10 miles, with 2400 feet of elevation gain, 25-35 lb backpacks).
The hiking trail begins with downhill switchbacks but after the initial descent is at a very moderate grade most of the way. On our day hike below the campground the trail descends a tall cliff at Mooney Falls on bolts and ladders. This section is very exposed but going below Mooney is optional.
- be active and healthy
- regularly exercise vigorously
- be comfortable hiking 8-10 miles per day with a 25 pound backpack
SOLITUDE LEVEL 2
1 least solitude, 5 most solitude
We rate this Grand Canyon hike a solitude 2 because the trail to Havasupai is well-used, but below Mooney Falls we’ll see far fewer people. You can expect as much as an hour of solitude at a time once we’re several miles into the Canyon. Weekends, and especially holiday weekends, tend to be very busy so if traveling during these periods expect to be around other hikers most of the time.
WHY WE BASE IN FLAGSTAFF VS. PHOENIX VS. PHOENIX
- Reduced drive time by 3 hours on first day of hiking
- Guide support is only an hour away vs. 4-5 hours away in Phoenix.
- Increased flexibility with unforeseen circumstances
- Flagstaff is a scenic mountain town with great hiking and restaurants!
Groome Transportation operates an Arizona Shuttle that makes 9 dependable trips daily each direction between Phoenix and Flagstaff. The duration is 2.5-3 hours. They pickup/drop off at Sky Harbor Airport and the Metro Center in Phoenix, and in Flagstaff at the Amtrak Station (near downtown) and the NAU campus.
Note: Groome also offers daily transportation (3 trips in each direction) from Flagstaff to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix has a fantastic car rental facility that is easily accessible and hosts a great variety of companies. We recommend checking Priceline.com as well for especially good deals.
Arizona Executive Transport
Arizona Executive Transport offers private, reliable SUV service between Phoenix and Flagstaff. This option is best if you’re traveling in a group of 3 or 4. As Wildland Trekking guests, your one-way cost for up to 4 passengers is only $275. Simply type “Wildland Trekking Company” in the Discount Code Box at the bottom of the online registration page. You can go to http://www.arizonaexecutivellc.com to make your reservations online.
Travel in perfect company by booking a private trip exclusively for your group!
Our sliding scale for private trips is based on the final number of guests in your group. Rates are per person and do not include sales tax, national park fees or guide gratuity. The final rate is based on the actual number of guests on the trip and may adjust based on cancellations or additions.
Please Note: you can also enjoy a private trip at our normal scheduled rates by filling any empty tour to capacity. However, if group members drop from the tour those spots will automatically become available on our website for instant booking. By purchasing a private trip at the rates listed below, your trip will remain exclusive to your group regardless of cancellations.
Private Rates FOr This Trip
- 2 People: Rate x 2.5
- 3 People: Rate x 1.75
- 4 People: Rate x 1.25
- 5+ People: Rate x 1.15
*all rates are per person