Cordillera Huayhuash Trek
Huaraz, Peru5.0 (5 reviews)
- World's 2nd Highest Mountain Range
- Stunning Alpine Scenery
- Ancient Inca Ruins
- Acclimatization Day Hikes
- 4 High Mountain Passes
- High Elevation over 15,000 Feet
- Mountain Solitude
- Guides Choice Trip
This trip takes us into the Cordillera Huayhuash, a tightly bunched, sensational 18-mile long collection of high peaks in the Peruvian Andes. This trekker’s paradise is remote, wild and stunningly beautiful. The range is the home of Siula Grande (20,814′), the location of the famous mountaineering book and movie “Touching the Void.” We acclimatize for several days in Huaraz, Peru by taking spectacular high elevation day hikes in the surrounding mountains and sleeping at a lower elevation in town. We can then head into the higher mountains safely, feeling good and prepared for the upcoming trekking adventure. On this trek we cross four high mountain passes, all over 14,000 feet and three higher than 15,000 feet. We camp next to stunningly beautiful alpine lakes and in broad, grassy valleys with wildflowers and rushing alpine creeks. And all the time we’re staring in awe up at the soaring, snow-laden Andes giants that tower above us with peaks at elevations above 20,000 feet!
$2950 Per Person
$250 Single Supplement
DIFFICULTY LEVEL 4
Our difficulty ratings are based on a scale of 1-5, tours with a rating of 1 being least difficult, tours with a rating of 5 being most difficult
- Backpack Weight:
- 10-15 pounds
- Daily Hiking Distances:
- 3-8 miles
- Most Elevation Loss:
- 3300 feet
- Most Elevation Gain:
- 2200 feet
- Quality of Trails:
- The trails are well-established, rock and dirt trails. They are steep and rugged in places.
- This trip requires significant elevation gains and losses on rocky trails, and tops out at over 15,000 feet. The higher elevations make the trekking more difficult and necessitate training for most guests to be well prepared.
- be active and healthy
- regularly exercise vigorously
- be comfortable hiking, biking, running, or swimming for several hours without many breaks
SOLITUDE LEVEL 5
1 least solitude, 5 most solitude
We rate this Peru hike a solitude 5. You can expect to see only a group or two over the entire duration of your trip.
TRAVEL TO HUARAZ, PERU
Transportation to and from the origin city of Huaraz, Peru is the guests’s responsibility. You will need to arrive in Huaraz on the first day of the trip before 6 PM. You can travel to Huaraz from Lima, Peru by bus (more information below). Your guide will rendezvous with you at the bus station and transport you to our hotel. An orientation meeting, dinner and accommodations are included on Day 1. Your departure from Huaraz should be scheduled for the final day of the tour at any time.
TRAVELING TO HUARAZ BY BUS (RECOMMENDED)
We recommend taking a bus from Lima to Huaraz. Here’s everything you need to know about the bus option from Lima to Huaraz:
- The flight operator from Lima to Huaraz is known to cancel their flights a week before because they don’t fill enough seats, which is the primary reason we recommend taking the bus.
- The bus ride is a highlight for many guests. The buses are deluxe with reclining seats, movies, great views of the Peruvian country side, and follow all paved roads from Lima to Huaraz.
- The ride is roughly 248 miles (400 km), and takes around 8 hours.
- Two of the most reputable bus companies are: Cruz del Sur and Movil Tours.
You can reach Lima from many U.S. and European international airports. Some of the primary U.S. departure cities include Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, Chicago, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. The duration of nonstop flights to Lima is 5-9 hours.
Minimum of 2 Guests
We require a minimum of 2 guests to confirm this trip. If a trip date is not confirmed yet, you can register and will be notified when the trip is officially confirmed. We recommend not making final travel arrangements until your trip meets the minimum number of guests and is confirmed.
In most cases, if a trip does not reach the minimum number of guests, you may choose to transfer to another trip date or another trip, or be refunded your payments in full. We make the final determination for these trips 45 days before the departure date.
Traveling in perfect company is a wonderful thing! With our private trip offerings you can book a trip exclusively for your group. Whether it’s with family, friends or colleagues, private trips are a fun and enriching way to explore the outdoors.
Private trip pricing is based on a sliding scale, depending on the number of people in your party. Rates are per person and do not include sales tax and national park fees (where applicable) or guide gratuity. Give us a call at 800-715-HIKE to get the ball rolling!
Private Rates FOr This Trip
- 2 People: Rate x 2
- 3 People: Rate x 1.5
- 4-5 People: Rate x 1.3
- 6-7 People: Rate x 1.2
- 8-10 People: Rate x 1.1
- 11-12 People: Rate x 1
*all rates are per person and single supplements apply