High Sierra & The Western Divide
Fresno, CA5.0 (4 reviews)
- Spectacular High Sierra Trail
- Layover Day to Explore
- Spectacular Giant Sequoias
- High Mountain Peaks & Passes
- Alpine Peaks, Lakes & Rushing Streams
- Amazing Natural & Cultural History
- Mountain Solitude
Please Note: 2022 trip dates for this tour will be available this fall, please check back then or let us know if you’d like to be notified!
xplore the heart of Sequoia National Park along one of the most beautiful and renowned trails in the world…the High Sierra Trail. This trail, built in the 1920’s and 30’s as a relatively moderate path to access the High Sierra, follows the north wall of the vast canyon of the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River into one of the most scenic areas in the Sierra Nevada… the Great Western Divide. There, we will camp at stunning Hamilton Lake surrounded by soaring granite peaks and cliffs, rising over 4000 feet above us and explore this mountain kingdom, appropriately named Valhalla. We will end our adventure near where we began…among the towering sequoias of Giant Forest, the largest and most impressive trees on earth.
Come join us for an extraordinary adventure in Sequoia National Park’s High Sierra! Call 800- 715-HIKE (4453) to learn more.
NEED TO KNOW: PERMIT PROCESS
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks issue backcountry permits 6 months in advance. It’s beneficial to register before permits are issued and if you do, we recommend not making concrete travel arrangements until the permit is secured. We have a very good success rate with Sequoia-Kings Canyon permits, but if unsuccessful your deposit is 100% transferrable or refundable.
$1530 Per Person
DIFFICULTY LEVEL 4
Our difficulty ratings are based on a scale of 1-5, tours with a rating of 1 being least difficult, tours with a rating of 5 being most difficult
- Backpack Weight:
- 30-40 pounds
- Daily Hiking Distances:
- 6-9 miles
- Most Elevation Gain:
- 2580 feet with light daypacks
- Most Elevation Loss:
- 2580 feet with light daypacks
- Quality of Trails:
- Well-maintained, rugged in places
- Beginning in a thick red fir forest, the well-maintained trail consists of mostly soft forest duff with minor stream crossings and few rocky sections before dropping down a few rocky switchbacks to meet up with the High Sierra Trail (HST). The trail, though rocky, is well maintained and designed. Few major ascents or excessively steep sections classify this as a moderate trail. Our day hike to the trip’s high point, Kaweah Gap, is more rugged but we’re hiking with light daypacks.
- be very active, healthy people
- exercise vigorously several times per week
- be comfortable hiking, biking, or running for hours at a time without taking breaks
SOLITUDE LEVEL 4
1 least solitude, 5 most solitude
We rate this Sequoia National Park hike a solitude 4. You can expect to see on average no more than 1 or 2 groups per day once we’re well into the backcountry.
TRAVEL TO FRESNO
All Sequoia-Kings Canyon trips begin and end in Fresno, California. Fresno has an airport served by many major airlines. You will meet your guide and group at the Wyndhyam Garden Fresno Hotel, which is very near the airport and has a free airport shuttle. We recommend staying here for your convenience.
Travel in perfect company by booking a private trip exclusively for your group!
Our sliding scale for private trips is based on the final number of guests in your group. Rates are per person and do not include sales tax, national park fees or guide gratuity. The final rate is based on the actual number of guests on the trip and may adjust based on cancellations or additions.
Please Note: you can also enjoy a private trip at our normal scheduled rates by filling any empty tour to capacity. However, if group members drop from the tour those spots will automatically become available on our website for instant booking. By purchasing a private trip at the rates listed below, your trip will remain exclusive to your group regardless of cancellations.
Private Rates FOr This Trip
- 2 People: Rate x 2.5
- 3 People: Rate x 1.75
- 4 People: Rate x 1.25
- 5+ People: Rate x 1.15
*all rates are per person