Drive for Wildland Trekking
Meet interesting people and work in beautiful locations!
We are hiring seasonal drivers! Read below to learn more about what it means to join the Wildland team as a driver. Work with fun, interesting people; drive to trailheads in stunning locations; and enjoy a flexible schedule.
*Please note these positions are seasonal. Some are part time, as needed only, while others can be full time during our busy seasons. Flexible schedules are a must.*
Current Openings for 2023
- Felt, ID (Full time Mid-June – Mid September)
- Estes Park, CO (Part time July – Mid September)
- Seattle, WA (Full time July – early September. Part time availability also accepted!)
In support of the company mission, shuttle drivers fulfill program transportation needs by employing safe, friendly, and efficient driving skills for employees, guests and cargo. Provide fleet support through regular safety inspections, cleaning, and general preparation duties.
- Maintain and adhere to Wildland Trekking Company (WTC) Minimum Operating Standards, all policies and procedures as outlined in the Field Staff Handbook and HR Handbook, and all directives from Manager or Director
- Comply with all motor vehicle laws and
- Maintain all DOT and insurance qualifications
- Notify Program Manager immediately of any driving violations
- Follow and adhere to the WTC Prime Directive five priorities: guest and guide safety; adherence to the rules and regulations of all commercial permits; care for the environment; care for the equipment; and guest satisfaction
- Complete and maintain accurate pre and post drive vehicle inspections following the Driver Vehicle Inspection Sheet and any duties as outlined by Program or Fleet Manager; keep reports in the vehicle binder
- Report any vehicle maintenance/repair requirements on the Driver Vehicle Inspection Sheet and reported to the PM
- Complete and maintain inspections to confirm the vehicle registration, insurance documents, and a WTC Vehicle Supply Tote with emergency equipment are in the vehicle
- Coordinate with the Guide to conduct the pre-drive orientation for the guests
- Follow all WTC operating safety measures as outlined in training and the Field Staff Handbook
- Use WTC vehicles for work-related use only
- Report any contact with other vehicles or objects such as guard rails, garbage cans, animals, etc. to the Program Manager
- Adhere to all trailer safety measures as outlined in training and the Field Staff Handbook
- Complete and maintain accurate trailer inspections following the Trailer Inspection Checklist
- Support with loading and unloading the vehicle and trailer
- Maintain all receipts and record expenses with timesheet and submit for payroll in a neat, organized, and timely manner subject to the bi-weekly payroll schedule
- Provide trip support to the guide and guests as needed
- Clean and prepare vehicle for next work shift
- Communicate any vehicle maintenance issues and needs
Field staff positions also include porter support, other additional trip support, and providing support in the warehouse or general duties for the program area; Shuttle Drivers may be eligible to fulfill these duties when necessary and approved by Manager or Director. Guiding as a field staff position requires specific qualifications, certifications, and trainings–see Field Staff Position for more details. All positions and responsibilities must adhere to all rules and regulations of the commercial use permit, all policies and procedures as outlined in the Field Staff Handbook and HR Handbook, and directives from Managers and Directors.
Requirements / Conditions of Employment:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Have a current valid driver’s license from state of residence meeting the state requirements for the size and type of vehicle being operated for at least 3 years
- Must have and maintain an acceptable MVR grade (as established by MVD) with no major preventable violations in the last 3 years (MVR will be pulled upon hiring and reviewed annually), including:
- DUI, DWI, or refused test
- Reckless driving
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Vehicular homicide
- False accident reporting
- Driving with a suspended/revoked license
- Driving without insurance
- Attempting to elude a police officer
- Must conform to any and all other local, state, or federal statutory requirements for the operation of the vehicle weight requirements and passenger limitations
- Must be literate
- Ability to pass all DOT requirements and hold a DOT Physical Certification (applicable to certain states only)
- Must pass drug testing (in California only)
- Ability to drive with a cargo trailer
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
Must have documented commercial driving experience. Commercial driving experience is defined as any job where you had to at least occasionally transport passengers.
Ability to perform routine vehicle maintenance in the field to ensure safe operation. Examples include: changing a flat tire, changing fuses, jump starting, checking and adding fluids, perform daily DOT vehicle inspections.
This job is based at the area branch location. Area branch season to be defined at hire.
- ENVIRONMENT this position requires long periods of driving and staging in remote areas where communication and basic services are unavailable. Duties may require extended periods in adverse weather conditions including: extreme temperatures and precipitation
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS This position requires applicants be able to frequently lift, push and pull weights up to fifty (50) lbs, as well as frequent bending, stooping, and squatting over the course of a full work shift. Duties require fine manual dexterity to perform basic tasks.
For benefit qualifications and plan details, see Compensation Plan, HR Handbook, and individual policies available from manager/director and HR Administrator.
- Paid Sick Leave
- 401(k) and/or Roth 401(k) Retirement Savings Plans with vested employer contributions
- Company Established Pro Deals and Discounts
We are always looking for exceptional individuals to drive shuttles for our groups on a part-time basis. Ideal candidates have warm personalities, clean driving records, knowledge of the natural and cultural history of the areas we operate, a very strong sense of professionalism and a dedication to customer satisfaction.
The bases of operation where we often need drivers are:
- St. George, UT
- Flagstaff, AZ
- Mariposa, CA
- Driggs, ID
- Estes Park, CO
- Olympia, WA
- Burlington, VT
HOW TO APPLY
We are currently not accepting Driver Applications for 2022. Please check back for 2023 open Driver positions.