Yellowstone National Park, WY5.0 (11 reviews)
- Amazing Gallatin Mountains
- Stunning Views
- Deep Wilderness
- High Country Lakes & Rivers
- Hike Up High on Two Prominent Peaks
- Potential to See Wildlife
The Gallatin Skyline Backpacking Tour traverses the length of the Gallatin Mountain Range inside Yellowstone National Park. It is a long, challenging, rewarding hike that features mountainous terrain, fantastic views, and abundant wildlife. With a great mix of meadow hiking, peak hiking on two prominent Yellowstone mountains, steep hikes up to high passes, and camping near rivers and lakes, this hike has it all!
You’ll also hike past Paradise Valley, with some of the best views in the park, and camp next to Shelf Lake which is the highest lake in Yellowstone, sitting at 9,200 feet in elevation. The culmination of the trip is on day six, when you’ll hike over Bighorn Peak (10,000 feet) and follow its high ridges for nearly six miles.
Need to Know: March 1st Permits
Due to Yellowstone’s permit system, which issues backcountry hiking and camping permits on March 1st each year, it’s beneficial to register before February 28th of the year you’d like to hike with us. Give us a call at 1-800-715-HIKE (4453) to learn more!
$1795 Per Person
DIFFICULTY LEVEL 5
Our difficulty ratings are based on a scale of 1-5, tours with a rating of 1 being least difficult, tours with a rating of 5 being most difficult
- Backpack Weight:
- 35-45 pounds
- Daily Hiking Distances:
- 3-10 miles
- Most Elevation Loss:
- 2250 feet
- Most Elevation Gain:
- 2000 feet
- Quality of Trails:
- Well maintained trails and off-trail
- This trip features off-trail sections and peak ascent attempts. The hiking in these sections is through meadows and across rocky alpine ridges.
- be very active, healthy people
- exercise vigorously several times per week
- be comfortable hiking, biking, or running for hours at a time without taking breaks
SOLITUDE LEVEL 5
1 least solitude, 5 most solitude
We rate this Yellowstone backpacking trip a solitude 5. You can expect to see a handful of other groups over the entire duration of your trip.