Ross Lake and Desolation Peak
Seattle, WA4.9 (10 reviews)
- Stunning Views of Ross Lake
- Rejuvenating Mountain Solitude
- Breathtaking Waterfalls
- Ancient, Old Growth Forests
- Amazing North Cascades High Country
- Abundant Wildlife Habitat
- Towering Granite Peaks
Towering peaks and old growth forests surround you on this 6-day hike along the East bank of Ross Lake. We’ll start on Ruby Arm—the southeastern most inlet of Ross Lake—and hike 32 miles along the lake, over tumbling creeks and on side drainages tucked between high granite spires, until emerging just a few miles from the Canadian border. An optional layover day at Lightning Creek provides the opportunity to summit Desolation Peak and visit the famous watch tower where Jack Kerouac wrote Dharma Bums. After completing the hike, we’ll take a water taxi all the way back down the lake, and have a chance to see everything that we hiked from an entirely new perspective.
$1795 Per Person
DIFFICULTY LEVEL 3
Our difficulty ratings are based on a scale of 1-5, tours with a rating of 1 being least difficult, tours with a rating of 5 being most difficult
- Backpack Weight:
- 30-40 pounds
- Daily Hiking Distances:
- 4-10 miles (up to 13 mi day hiking)
- Most Elevation Loss:
- 1,000 feet (4,400 day hiking)
- Most Elevation Gain:
- 1,000 feet (4,400 day hiking)
- Quality of Trails:
- mostly well maintained trails, with some rocky and and challenging route finding to the summit of Desolation Peak (6-day itinerary)
- The ascent of Desolation Peak is a strenuous day (4,400 feet ascent in rocky and challenging terrain) but it is with just light day packs, which is why this trip receives a Level 3 difficulty rating.
- be active and healthy
- exercise several times per week
- be comfortable hiking 6-8 miles per day in hilly or mountainous terrain with a 25-pound backpack
SOLITUDE LEVEL 4
1 least solitude, 5 most solitude
We rate this North Cascades National Park hike a solitude 4. You can expect to see a couple other groups of hikers per day.
Seattle is one of the United States’ most convenient cities to travel to. SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma) Airport is one of the most easily accessed destinations in the country. Many major cities in the United States and internationally offer direct flights into Seattle. Please stay at one of our recommended hotels (coming soon!), all of which have airport shuttles so you do not have to rent a vehicle.
Travel in perfect company by booking a private trip exclusively for your group!
Our sliding scale for private trips is based on the final number of guests in your group. Rates are per person and do not include sales tax, national park fees or guide gratuity. The final rate is based on the actual number of guests on the trip and may adjust based on cancellations or additions.
Please Note: you can also enjoy a private trip at our normal scheduled rates by filling any empty tour to capacity. However, if group members drop from the tour those spots will automatically become available on our website for instant booking. By purchasing a private trip at the rates listed below, your trip will remain exclusive to your group regardless of cancellations.
Private Rates FOr This Trip
- 2 People: Rate x 2.5
- 3 People: Rate x 1.75
- 4 People: Rate x 1.25
- 5+ People: Rate x 1.15
*all rates are per person